Cafe Einstein Celebrity intelligentsia at ‘20s coffeehouse
It’s been an institution for Berlin intelligentsia for years located in a charming period building that’s the original location of the Café Einstein empire, Germany’s version of Starbucks. But this super-stylish bistro and coffeehouse is anything but mass-produced. A glossy main dining room is lined in rich walnut paneling, bistro chairs and historic black-and-white photographs of ‘20s Berlin. Tall hand-carved ceilings and oversize picture windows frame treetop views of the buzzing Berlin neighborhood. Just a room away is a dimly lit drinking bar for those moving on from caffeine to more stimulating alcoholic drinks that percolates till 2am.
payment optionsVisa, MasterCard, American Express
table to getWindow 4-Top
special featuresHistoric Location, Hip Clientele
The day begins bright and early with a sexy commuter crowd in fashionable eyewear lingering over the Morgenpost while eating homemade breads, pastries, and egg dishes. By afternoon it’s more of a coffee and lunch crowd ordering the occasional chicken sandwich or tossed salad with potato soup while chattering about the latest CDU infighting. By night the menu turns a bit fussier and a lot more French with oysters on the half shell, beef tartare and towering shellfish selection. Entrees are a choice of steak frites with grilled tomatoes, Wiener Schnitzel or goulash with dumplings.
Home of the original Café Einstein, this Berlin cafe offers a sexy crowd of neighborhood bohemians enjoying a pricey all-day menu of French bistro specialties.
Designer gastro-pub for lively dinners in Neukolln
Period building, small-plates menu for trendy dinners in Berlin
Editorial: Ann Vine
La Soupe Populaire
Epic design space is latest Tim Raue edible masterpiece
Tim Raue takes deconstructing dining to new level in Berlin
Editorial: Ann Vine
Arty, playful Mitte dining room and cocktail scene
Local menu and chic crowd at Berlin eatery
Editorial: Michael Martin
Top 10 Lists
- Restaurant Openings - January Atherton in Hong Kong, Curtis Stone does pomegranate; our top picks for January
- Top-10 Celebrity Restaurants Most beloved eateries of the world's rich and famous
- Top-10 Gastronomic Experiences Hot chefs defining a new global food movement
- Top-10 Power Lunch Hotspots Most important meal of the day for business travelers
- Summer's Top-10 Beach Clubs Somewhere in the world it's always beach club season
- Top-10 Party Restaurants Big city restaurants that mix food and late-night party scene